Kensington Palace was originally a two-story Jacobean mansion built by Sir George Coppin in 1605. In the summer of 1689, William and Mary bought the mansion from Secretary of State Daniel Finch, they then instructed Sir Christopher Wren, Surveyor of the King’s Works, to begin an immediate expansion of the house. Of particular interest is the work of architects Sir Christopher Wren and Nicholas Hawksmoor whose task it was to design an orangery which became far more than a greenhouse as it was the ‘party room’ for successive royals.

https://www.hrp.org.uk/kensington-palace 5 minutes High Street Kensington tube